Saturday, July 22, 2006

Safe for the whole family?





Soon after we moved back to Omaha I noticed a billboard advertising the local Christian radio station, KGBI (100.7). The billboard proclaimed, in large, bold letters, that the station was "safe for the whole family."

On the surface this would seem to be a welcome characteristic, and perhaps it is for a Christian radio station. I'll tell you why it rubbed me the wrong way, though. It seems to me that this billboard reflected an idea prevalent among conservative Christians that the definition of Christian art/entertainment should include the idea that it be "safe for the whole family." This was exemplified during my short period of employment at Berean Christian Stores. In the movie section, Berean carried the typical array of Christian movies, of which none could be accused of being inappropriate for children (unless, perhaps, one considers the "Left Behind" movies too intense). I suppose Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" could also be considered an exception, although an astonishing number of Christian parents considered that ultra-violent movie acceptable viewing for their entire family. However, what was astonishing to me was that Berean also carried a variety of movies which had nothing to do with the expressed purposes of the store (as a Christian bookstore), but were considered "family friendly" - including The Polar Express (with Tom Hanks), Because of Winn Dixie, and the Garfield movie and cartoons. At the same time, Berean stocked the movie "Woman, Thou Art Loosed" (based on a novel by Bishop T. D. Jakes) but kept it in the back because they feared offending patrons. Additionally, an excellent movie like Hotel Rwanda would never have been carried because of its disturbing subject matter, despite the fact that its message is far more Christian than that of Garfield.

Certainly some of this was wrapped up in marketing agreements with certain companies (in this case, I believe they had an agreement with Fox to sell a line of family movies they produced) - I could write plenty more about the inherent problems with such an arrangement. But I do think this also reflects the perspective of Christian art that argues that it must be appropriate for viewers of all ages.

However, I wonder if there is not a place for Christian art that may not be appropriate for an all-ages audience? In fact, I would emphatically argue that there is a place for such art. Art should reflect life, and life is not always as clean and "safe" as we would like it to be. Still, such art can be profoundly moving, and even redemptive, as evidenced by movies like Schindler's List, Hotel Rwanda, Million Dollar Baby, and American Beauty. The subject matter of these movies is certainly not appropriate for younger viewers, but each deals with themes that are profoundly Christian. A Christian perspective on art needs to judge art by different criteria than whether it is "safe for the whole family."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake,
Hooray for you! I'm excited about this blog,I hope you do update it frequently.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to point out that the Bible is not "safe for the whole family." There is much content that is not appropriate for all ages as we define appropriate in 21st century American child development theory. What eight year old needs to hear the virtues of a woman's genitals as a well-watered garden.

Just a thought.

Jake said...

Wow . . . glad to see people posting here. Thanks for all your thoughts. A few of my own:

Jer, I'm not really trying to say that the existence of a station like KGBI that markets itself to a "family friendly" demographic is necessarily problematic - in fact, I noted that it could be argued that "safe for the whole family" is a proper format for a Christian radio station. My issue with it is that I think it is indicative of a general attitude amongst conservative Christianity. First, I have known many, many Christians who would not place this discussion on the level of personal preference - instead, the criterion of "safe for the whole family" is considered normative for all Christians, and that is primarily what I am taking issue with here. The KGBI marketing plan is simply the catalyst for my thinking on the issue.

Also, I do think Brian raises a good point. While it would be unfair to say that everyone who listens to a station like KGBI is "burying their head in the sand," I would also argue that many are doing exactly that. What I am arguing against, then, is not this specific radio station or marketing campaign, but what I see as a larger problem in the conservative Christian subculture. Brian hit on that pretty well. I hope that makes sense.

Brian - great post. It saddens me to say that I think you're right. Christians have historically not been successful at interacting with their culture. There is definitely a tension within Christianity precisely because there are a set of unchanging truths. Unfortunately, cultural issues like drinking alcohol, smoking, watching R-rated movies, and even (in my estimation) issues like the place of women in ministry are made into unchanging norms. Positions on issues like these, which are primarily cultural, are then taken to be a part of what it means to be a Christian, ie. Christians don't drink alcohol, or Christian's don't watch R-rated movies, etc. The result is a form of Christianity that is out of touch with its culture because it emphasizes peripheral issues, and the really important stuff (like who Jesus was and what he taught) inadvertently becomes less important.

Also, the Hobbit analogy was quite astute, and you have to love the Halo reference. :)

Jody, you also raise a good point. The fact that much of the Bible's content could not be considered "safe for the whole family" should certainly cause us to question whether Christian art must always be judged by that criteria.

Christopher said...

Jake,

Awesome post. What I got out of it is exactly what I've kinda felt about KLove and KGBI too but was willing to go along with. I love different genres of Christian music but can't hear them on the radio in this area because they aren't "family friendly". I wish they'd branch out and allow groups like P.O.D. and 12 Stones be heard (for example).

Your wife told me about your blog and how we seemed to start blogs at the same time. LoL. I hope you take a moment to read mine and tell me what you think.

Christian Eye

Jake said...

Thanks for your post, Scott - glad to see you on here. And you raise a good point about children and the need to protect them from certain material until they have the ability to think about it critically.

Your last paragraph summed it up nicely, and I don't disagree with anything you said there. Certainly there is a place for entertainment that is appropriate for families - when this becomes the "end all, be all" of Christian entertainment, however, I think that there is a problem.

"Imagine" is a good example, actually. Its a song with "classic" status for good reason (of course that is always debatable), and I think touches on some positive themes, but obviously I cannot agree with all of its conclusions - specifically his rejection of belief in God as harmful. However, as an adult I am perfectly able to listen to this song and filter Lennon's message through my own belief system - something a child would not have the ability to do.

You touched on another aspect of this "family friendly" issue that has only been mentioned peripherally thus far - that the definitions of what is family friendly are often skewed. The criteria are often limited to surface issues like strong language, sex, and intensity of violence, but the larger message of the film is rarely considered. Ironically, this leads some Christians to promote movies even though they are communicating something they would not agree with. I also, however, think the opposite is also true - sometimes Christians get so hung up on such surface issues they fail to see an ultimately redemptive message to a piece of art. Examples include American Beauty (which I noted in my original post), Schindler's List, andAmerican History X. Of course, none of these movies would be appropriate for children, either.