Friday, July 21, 2006

Beginnings

Well, this is it . . . the long awaited blog. I wanted to start by explaining a few things - my purpose in starting a blog in the first place, and my choice of a title.

I hope for this blog to be a regular outlet for my thoughts on a variety of issues, mostly centering around religion, popular culture, and politics. There'll likely be a good amount of music, movies and television thrown in as well. And, the occasional update on what's going on in Cari and I's lives. Obviously this covers a wide range of topics, but hopefully what I have to say will be of interest to at least a few people. My hope is that my posts will generate some discussion - people won't always agree with me, and that's alright, and discussion sharpens everyone. Additionally, it is also a way for me to improve my writing abilities - to learn how to better communicate what I'm thinking.

And the title. A poem by a 14th century Sufi Muslim poet may seem like an odd choice for inspiration, particularly if you know me and know that I really don't care for poetry. This poem forms the basis of a great song by an even greater band - the Derek Trucks Band (if you haven't heard them, you really should check them out) - this is how it came to my attention. I like it because "this sky" seems to encompass, at least in my interpretation, the entirety of the world we live in, and that fits this blog, since it touches on such a wide range of topics. Hopefully that makes sense.

I do hope to post regularly here . . . several times a week if possible. I'm pretty sure I can find enough to write about - we'll see if I have the time. Thanks for taking the time to check it out - I hope that what I have to say is of some value to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting reading, oh, bro-in-law of ours. My favorite comment, of course, was about your desire to improve your written communication skills. Oh, if only my students had such lofty goals!!!

You've been bookmarked; we'll check in frequently. By the way, are we the "Others?" I just liked that idea...maybe you should check our lockers next time you're over for an old man beard and Will. Amy & Brian

Anonymous said...

Writing skills - I think it should be "Cari and my lives" rather than "Cari and I's lives."

I'm sure Amy B would notice that!

It was good, thought provoking and I look forward to more.
Dennis

I guess she didn't notice.

Anonymous said...

I did notice, but hate to disparage. Those pesky little pronouns can trip up anyone! :)