Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Optical Intercourse a/k/a Making Eye Babies



This is a rather short post only because a mention of this article actually made it into my law school criminal law text book. While discussing the importance that criminal laws provide notice to the public on what kind of conduct is criminal, thereby giving people the opportunity to conform their behavior appropriately, the case book editors noted an incident at Pensacola Christian College. Apparently, a female student was disciplined for engaging in "optical intercourse" or "making eye babies" with a member of the opposite sex. The case book then challenged us, without further details, to imagine what such an offense might be.

Putting aside the absurdity that is Pensacola Christian College (see the article for further details as well as an explanation of the offense mentioned above), it bothers me to think what will happen to some of these students when they have to face the real world. Additionally, it bothers me that this is the public impression the school is giving of what Christians are like. And if one doubts that the public is seeing this... remember, it has made it into my textbook.

PS: I pull the associated photo from PCC's website. I wonder if that guy is engaging in some optical intercourse...?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish you could hear me laughing right now! Seriously, "optical intercourse?! Making eye babies?!" Wow, it seems as if a new Fruit of the Spirit has been added to the list: clairvoyance. I must have missed out on that last upgrade!

On a more serious note, I agree, cases like this really do not bode well for the overall perception of Christianity. There are many points to be raised from this case, but because my lunch is almost over, I'm going to reserve myself to one: How can people be "charged" with what may or may not be going on in their mind? This goes beyond what both Christians and court systems should or can do. Well, I guess courts can prosecute for criminal intent, but I suppose that depends on if "opitical intercourse" can be deamed as criminal intent. This also goes well beyond what I think God intended for Christians to be apart of. He is the ultimate judge when it comes to an individual's innermost thoughts. Schools like this one should spend less time judging and prosecuting on such matters and more on building into future Christian leaders who can function in the "real world."

-Eliz