Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Recent Movies: The Prestige

Cari and I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for the past few months - the previews looked great, and its hard to turn down a movie starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson, and Michael Caine, and directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento, Batman Begins).

The movie centers around two dueling magicians in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. I don't want to reveal any more of the plot because much of the enjoyment of watching the film comes from trying to navigate the different twists and turns of the story (in the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that Cari figured out the big "secret" before it was revealed--I did not). The movie is well worth seeing--I found the characters to be well developed (particularly Bale and Jackman's characters) and the plot twists did not feel as contrived as they did when we saw Martin Scorcese's The Departed a few weeks ago (Scorcese's movie is also worth seeing, but I enjoyed The Prestige more).

No comments: