Thursday, August 10, 2006

Jazz Improvisation

"This is an important distinction for an understanding of jazz. Improvisatory creation is not a medium that half-heartedly tries, but won't rise up to, a written composition: on the contrary, it gives jazz its grandeur, which is a potential to eclipse written music in its performance. . . . [I]f all the written music in the world suddenly burned up in a flash, who could still do a gig the same night, with complete strangers, and no rehearsals?"
-- Brad Mehldau, from the liner notes to Art of the Trio 4: Back at the Vanguard, writing about the difference improvisational and more structured forms of music

I just liked this quote - nicely captures at least a little bit of why I enjoy jazz music so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll post because I'm not sure anyone else will post to your jazz comment. (HA!)

Jake said...

Yeah, I thought Pat or Carl might, but I was pretty sure there'd be little response otherwise. Thanks for making me feel better. :)